Garage Sale Information
Community Services Specialist
4401 Rowlett Road
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
City of Rowlett Code Enforcement does not require a permit for garage sales or other occasional sales. There are regulations for signs designed to maintain the appearance of city streets and avoid traffic congestion in your neighborhood. We hope that this information assists you in having a successful sale.
- Citizens are allowed to have up to three (3) sales in a 12-month period. No permit is required at this time.
- Sales are limited to personal property. No merchandise acquired solely for the purpose of resale is allowed.
- Although the term "garage sale" is used, sales can also be held on the patio, driveway or in the front yard.
- Sales may last up to three (3) consecutive calendar days.
- You may place your garage sale signs on your property or other private property with the property owner's permission.
- Public safety concerns and city ordinances prohibit placing signs on public property. Public property includes street or road right-of-ways, which is normally the area between the street pavement and utility poles or between street pavement and fences. Signs are also prohibited in medians and on trees and utility poles.
- To reduce litter (and continued visitors after your sale has ended) please remove all signs within 48 hours after the sale has ended.
- If garage sale signs are found in violation, they will be removed and discarded at no liability to the City of Rowlett.
- If you are a non-profit organization and would like to have a rummage sale or similar event a special event permit is required and can be obtained from the Fire Marshal's office. Please visit their site for more details: Fire Marshal.